My Search

Custom Search

visit my add

Monday, August 10, 2009

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)


Curricular Practical Training (CPT) What is CPT?• CPT stands for Curricular Practical Training.• CPT is an off-campus work authorization for a position which enhances your studies. Federal immigration regulations state the work or internship experience must be integral to ( part of) your academic studies.
When do I need to seek CPT authorization?• You MUST apply for and receive CPT authorization BEFORE you begin any type of off-campus work or internship• Paid or unpaid off-campus work or internship requires CPT authorization.• CPT is authorized with a specific employer for a specific amount of time.• CPT can only be used prior to completion of studies, while you are enrolled as a student
Am I eligible to apply for CPT?• Are you in valid visa status?• Are you registered as a full-time student?• Have you been a student in the United States for at least two consecutive academic semesters?
When should I apply for CPT?• When you have a job offer from an off-campus employer. This job must be directly related to your field of study.• Before you have finished all of your coursework towards your degree.• At least 2 weeks before you want to begin work.• After you have registered for the semester, including the CPT course credit.• When the internship or employment is paid or UNPAID.
What if my employer wants me to start working right-away!You must tell your employer that you cannot begin work until you are authorized by the OIE office. You will need to explain to your employer that it takes 7-10 business days to process CPT paperwork.
When can I start working at this job?After you have received a new I-20 for this period of CPT, the start date of the CPT is the first day you can work.
NOTE: Submitting paperwork to the OIE office does NOT mean you can automatically begin working! You must wait until you receive the new I-20 for CPT.
Can I begin training or volunteering in the position before the CPT I-20 is ready?No. This puts your valid visa status at risk and your employer in jeopardy with U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Protect Your Valid Visa Status, do not do this. You cannot begin job training until you receive the new I-20 for CPT from the OIE and the start-date has occurred.
I'm a new student here. Can I apply for CPT?Only after you have completed two continuous academic semesters as a student, will you be eligible to apply for CPT.
This means that if you arrived in the United States as a new F-1 student in the Fall semester, you can begin working on CPT after the last day of classes in May. If you arrived as a new student in January (Spring semester), then you can begin work under CPT after Fall semester classes end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

visit my add

flag

free counters